Rifle/Pistol Range Rules
Range rules at the Sunnyvale Rod & Gun Club are intended to ensure every visitor has a safe and enjoyable experience. Please be familiar with the following rules to get the most out of your visit to the club. A copy of these Rules are available at the Club outside
the Range Office.
- All firearms must be cased and unloaded at the firing line benches.
- All uncased firearms must be carried with the muzzle pointed up, action open, and magazine removed.
- No loaded firearms allowed on the range except on the firing line or permitted CCWs.
- No holstered firearms or drawing from a holster is allowed. If you have a CCW permit and wish to fire your CCW, speak with the Range Master for further instruction.
- Always keep firearms pointed downrange, especially when handled.
- No movement forward of firing line is permitted until the Range Master gives instructions.
- At the “cease-fire” command, remove magazines, open actions, insert chamber flags, and move to the safety zone behind the yellow line.
- Do not loiter down range; return to the safety zone behind the yellow line after checking your target.
- Do not cross the yellow line during “cease- fire” and target change.
- Fire only at approved targets placed at the numbered position corresponding to your bench. Do not post targets on edge of frame.
- When firing, keep the muzzle of the firearm at or forward of the firing line.
- If you cannot clear a malfunction, stay at your bench and raise your hand to attract the attention of the Range Staff.
- The Range Staff are authorized to inspect all firearms and ammunition and prevent the use of anything deemed unsafe or hazardous.
- Every unused firearm must have its action open and a chamber flag inserted.
- No children under 6 are allowed on the range. Children age 6 through 17 must be supervised by an adult who is within arms length at all times and paying full attention to the child.
- Eye and ear protection must be worn on the Rifle/Pistol range during all firing sessions.
- The following are prohibited:
- Alcoholic beverages.
- Drugs, such as marijuana, etc.
- Fully automatic firearms.
- Incendiary, tracer, armor-piercing, or explosive ammunition.
- Wearing and drawing from the holster.
- Shooting the target stands.
- Some high caliber firearms (see RM).
- Black powder or black powder substitute firearms.
- Excessive rapid fire.
The Range Master's decision is final. Violators of any rules may be requested to leave the premises.